The Coat of Arms of Wainfleet
wainfleet market town near Skegness in Lincolnshire uk
|consists of a white shield charged with a red
cross which symbolizes the arms of Lincoln, England. The Maple Leaf is
used to represent Canada. The Wagon Wheel and Bars Wavy depicting the
Anglo-Saxon meaning of Wain "a wagon" and Fleet "a creek
- a river", that is "a creek through which a wagon can pass."
The Harrow representing the development of Agriculture in the area.
A Cranberry Bush, indicative of the natural flora in this area, on a wreath
of colours argent and gules.
The Mississauga Indian, representing the
tribe that settled along Lake Ontario. The Franciscan Priest, representing
Father Daillon, the first white man 1626-1678, being among the priests
that established the settlement.
The History of the County of Welland published
by the Welland Tribune Printing House, 1887 stated "It may be said
that English Speaking Canada had no existence before immigration of the
United Empire Loyalists from the United States which began in 1783.
The earliest settler of Wainfleet Township was David Morgan
Sr. who, with his son David, paddled a canoe across Lake Erie to reach
Point Industry. This was during the Revolutionary War. Point Industry
in 1840 was renamed Morgan's Point in his honour. He brought corn and
potatoes with him to start a crop. From his first crop of corn, he and
his son loaded a bag in his canoe, paddled down Lake Erie and the Niagara
River to Chippawa, portaged around the falls and on down Lake Ontario
to Kingston to the nearest grist mill, then back home the same route with
his bag of corn meal.
Soon after, in 1785, Street's grist mill was built at Niagara
Falls so the settlers living along Lake Erie could paddle down to the
mill. But for those inland the trip was made on horseback. Later, the
two Zavits Brothers built the first grist mill in Wainfleet Township at
The first record of the survey of Wainfleet Township was
in 1788 when Lieut. P.R. Frey was instructed to proceed with the survey
of this part of the Niagara Peninsula. At that time it was a part of Lincoln
County. It was named Wainfleet by Lieut. Gov. Simcoe after Wainfleet England,
as it also had an extensive marsh. Wainfleet appeared under it's present
name on the map of Upper Canada in 1798.
Some settlement had preceded the surveys giving rise to
many disputes later. The British Government gave grants of land to retired
officers and men for their services to their county as some wished to
remain and make their homes here. After the American Revolution, there
were many former British subjects and Pennsylvania Dutch who, wishing
to remain under the British flag and to escape persecution in the newly
formed United States, settled in the Niagara Peninsula. These loyal people
were know as the United Empire Loyalists and received a grant of land
from the British Government and some supplies with which to start a new
life. The first child born to each United Empire Loyalist family received
a grant of 200 acres. Among those receiving grants dating between 1796
to 1813 are many familiar names, descendants of early settlers, such as:
McGill, Canby, Zavitz, Smith, Burk, Gleason, Furry,
Misener, Doan, Cook, Minor, Kinnaird, Gibson, Hardison, Hamiltion, Cochran,
Wilson, and Chambers.
|Information, data and images courtesy of the Township of
Wainfleet, Ontario, Canada.